The late burst of summer was a lovely distraction, but the crunchy leaves, cooler days and snuggly jumpers are back - lots of reasons to love Autumn! However, the dry crisp air is tough on your skin, stripping out water and moisture and leaving your skin prone to feeling dry, dull, dehydrated and irritated. It's a good time to reassess your routine and prep your skin for Autumn. You don't need major changes, just a few minor adjustments and a focus on caring for your skin's protective barrier will keep your skin feeling calm, nourished and glowing.
When cold, dry air saps your skin of moisture it can feel tight, dry and uncomfortable and this is when irritation, itchiness and sensitivity can occur. Couple this with the drying effects of a loss of collagen, and your skin barrier has to work harder to hold onto moisture. When your skin becomes dry and irritated, your skin cells don't turnover as effectively - the natural process of your skin renewing itself. Strengthening your skin barrier will help to protect it, improve its ability to retain moisture and renew itself.
How to I change my skincare routine for Autumn?
Hydrate and nourish your skin from the inside out. Try to drink water regularly and boost skin hydration levels by eating nutrient-dense, water-rich foods such as grapefruit, oranges, spinach, cabbage, cucumber, tomatoes and cauliflower. Seasonal fruit and vegetables like berries and leafy greens rich in vitamin C add antioxidants to your diet, vital to combat free radicals and help prevent a loss of elasticity.
- Switch face wipes, soap and foaming washes that strip your skin of natural oils for a gentle oil-based like Pamoja's Reset cleansing balm and soft face cloth for gently daily exfoliation. Effortlessly sweeping away makeup and grime, while nourishing your skin with omega and vitamin rich Mango and Murumuru butters that will help to prevent that tight, dry feeling that can be so uncomfortable after cleansing. Oil cleansing is an age-old beauty ritual and such a soothing way to cleanse, if you haven't tried it yet, you're in for a treat! Read 'Love at first cleanse' my blog all more about the skin benefits of oil cleansing. It's tempting to exfoliate to remove dead skin cells, however over-exfoliating can be damaging to the skin. Twice a week is enough for most skin types.
- Layer in extra hydration, just like we add layers to our autumn wardrobe! Pamoja's Replenish hydrating serum floods your skin with hydration, triple weight hyaluronic plumps, and Niacinamide balances and brightens helping to strengthen the skin barrier, and give you antioxidant protection against the elements. Just two pumps after cleansing twice daily gives you long lasting hydration and a healthy glow.
- Apply moisturiser directly onto your skin while it's still damp from your serum. Look out for lightweight yet hydrating formulations like Pamoja's Revive Multi-action Face Cream which contains soothing, hydrating ingredients such as calendula, blackcurrant, hyaluronic acid and science-backed natural actives. The actives, made from sustainable sources, help to combat irritation and provide instant and long-lasting hydration. Revive contains vegan hyaluronic acid (it isn't an acid in the AHA sense so, if you have sensitive skin, don't be scared!) It's naturally occurring in the skin but diminishes as we age, causing our skin to lose it plumpness and elasticity. Adding hyaluronic acid into your routine helps to bring back a plump, smoother complexion.
- Help your skin to lock in that moisture with a couple of drops of a quality plant-based facial oil like Pamoja's Restore radiance booster made with skin-loving omega oils, vitamins and anti-oxidants. Restore helps to prevent dryness and soothes irritation for velvety soft, supple skin. If you have a little more time, try a facial massage to ease tension and welcome in a little extra selfcare. Carefully formulated with olive derived Squalane, Sacha Inchi and Kahai (Cacay) oils which are non-greasy yet packed with skin loving nutrients. Blackcurrant soothes and Sea Buckthorn helps rejuvenate sun damaged skin.
- SPF is still important, despite the cloud and cold here in the UK! If you're lucky enough to be travelling abroad this Autumn, think about how your skin might feel with the changing temperatures. If you need to travel light, treat yourself to the Pamoja travel set, miniatures that last around one month and come with an organic cotton cloth and drawstring bag!
So, here you have it, by tweaking your cleansing routine and boosting moisture you can quickly get your skin feeling happy, healthy and glowing and proofed for whatever autumn/winter has in store. These soothing skincare rituals are also perfect for cosy Autumn nights indoors!
Shop the blog
If you'd like to try a new routine the Pamoja Mini Experience is a four-step natural skincare ritual that lasts around one month and keeps your skin feeling happy, healthy and radiant. These mini bestsellers are beautifully packaged in an organic cotton bag, making it an ideal self-care gift, travel set or starter set to try the collection and get your skin glowing.
Thanks for reading my blog.
Are you new to Pamoja?
Hi, I'm Sarah, a trained skincare formulator and founder of Pamoja.
Pamoja is a high-performing natural skincare brand designed to help you nourish your skin and nurture yourself, because I believe you deserve more kindness in your daily routine - life is too short!
Now with over 400+ five-star reviews. As seen in Vogue, Stylist, Woman's Health, Health and Wellbeing Magazine, Natural Health Magazine, Top Sante and more.
✨ If you enjoyed this, why not subscribe for access to 10% off your first order plus 'A Daily Dose of Kindness - 30 ways to Practice Self-care'. Sign up here.
Copyright: Sarah Taylor 1st September 2020. Edited 31st August 2021 and 11th October 2023.
How to Simplify your Skincare Routine
5 ways to turn your evening skincare routine into a soothing ritual for calm and wellbeing.