Extra handwashing, and sanitising, is a nightmare for your hands, and your little one's hands, as the skin barrier, becomes disrupted, dry and damaged. If like me, you're prone to dermatitis or eczema you'll be feeling it even more. Read our six tips on how to keep your hands healthy and hydrated.
The skin on your hands is tough and durable but already very sensitive to environmental factors such as the sun, climate, irritants and overwashing. Advice to wash hands regularly for 20 seconds at a time, plus the use of alcohol sanitisers, is leaving already sensitive skin feeling sore, inflamed, cracked and itchy. Scratching causes the skin to break, causing further pain. The damaged skin barrier then allows irritants in causing infections and prolonged problems such as allergic dermatitis it's a vicious circle with which I'm only too familiar!
I suffered for years with dermatitis on my hands triggered by an allergy to MI and exacerbated by frequent washing when my girls were little. These are 6 tips outlined below really saved my skin.
- Wash with a gentle, SLS free, handwash.
- Gently blot with the softest cloth you can find and while hands are still damp, apply a natural moisturiser ideally one with high oil content. I love to gently exfoliate my hands, moisturise first with a plant based oil to lock in moisture and then apply a nourishing cream, then hand sanitiser on top.
- Have quick and easy access to your moisturisers and apply them frequently. Keeping spares in the car, your bag and beside your bed as well as near your basin will help you to moisturise more regularly, aim for at least 4-5 times a day.
- Consider removing rings to prevent water and products becoming trapped and irritating your skin.
- Wear cotton gloves at night, the time when your skins natural rejuvenation process kicks in, and cell activity will increase to repair damage from the day. If you can get away with it, wear the gloves during the day too!
- Keep it up ! To avoid flare ups stick to your routine even when symptoms improve.
Restore Multi-purpose Beauty Oil is very soothing for sore, dry hands and helps to maintain the skin's protective barrier, increasing its resistance against environmental stress by locking in moisture. Rich in skin loving Omega 3,5,6,7 and 9, minerals, vitamin A and E and handmade in small batches from ethically harvested Columbian Kahaiâ„¢ oil, Organic Sacha Inchi oil, Olive Squalane, Vitamin E and Sea Buckthorn, Pomegranate and Arctic Blackcurrant CO2.
Customer Vicki said,
"My knuckles were getting so dry and sore....so last night I added a few generous drops of the Restore oil and I've woken up with half the redness!!!
Restore also comes in an essential oil-free version.
Thanks for reading. If you have any questions or want to share your tips for handcare leave a comment below.
Please share to social and subscribe for 10% from your first order, product news and skincare tips.